It is a common trend for graduates to seek employment but most times people say they don’t get jobs although the unemployment rate in Nigeria is high, some people still end up getting well-paying jobs.
The main aim of every employer is to make profit and add value to its organization and will only employ people who will key into this. In a bid to fall into employer’s good books, you as a potential employee must have the following to meet up with employers:
This refers to having knowledge about a particular field, the process of being informed. Education can either be formal or informal; it could be a University or Polytechnic degree, professional or technical training qualifications or an evidence of a diploma or member of a professional body.
This refers to having practical knowledge about something. This can be gained through continuous contact or observation of a particular thing. It also includes the ability to carry out a task practically. Experience can be in the following forms:
This includes what one has accomplished in the past both academic and non-academic; this serves as a pointer to the fact that one is capable of achieving other things in the future. Accomplishments in the face of odds and difficult situations are always more recognized.
- Team work or Orientation
This stems from being an active participant of a team or teams. This shows that one can work well with people from different sphere of life. This is important because in organizations it is very hard not to work with people so this shows that one can be efficient while working with others.
- Relationship management
Also known as interpersonal relationship, this has to do with one’s skills as regards persuasion, conflict management and team dynamics. It includes the ability to manage relationships with both high and low individuals in an organization.
This doesn’t necessarily mean being a leadership figure but the ability to make concrete and well thought contributions wherever we find ourselves. It includes the ability to motivate and encourage others. Acting in ways worthy of emulation also brings out leadership qualities in one.
- Business awareness
Having an idea of how organizational structure works, understanding financials and having insights of business and global trends and how it affects businesses and how one’s organization can partake or benefit from business trends.
- High performance behaviors: This depends on the sector or organization one is looking to gain employment. This behavior often stem from the companies culture, values and things that account for the company’s success. In a bid to appeal to an employee you have to ensure you possess behaviors that will make you a high flyer, for instance confidentiality is a key high performance behavior for a HR manager as trust worthiness is for an accountant or auditor.
- Innovation and creativity: It is good to follow procedures and laid down rules especially in organizations like the military and in other organizations to some extent but if you as an employee is looking to get a good, long-lasting job you have to think beyond the ordinary, you have to be creative and be able to think out new solutions and ideas. You can’t just expect to do the same over and over and get promoted, people with groundbreaking ideas rule the workplace and are mostly recognized.
- Agility: Response to stimuli is very important; no one wants to employ a sluggish worker. You need to be a change agent and always be ready to adjust to changes. Employers love graduates who are proactive and can take informed risks.
- Initiative: This is the ability to think on your own without supervision. Your boss won’t always be around; you are not going to be paid to be baby sited all through the way.
- Communication: This includes both verbal and written communication. You must possess the ability to give and receive information in a presentable manner.
- Problem solving
This includes thinking things through in a logical manner and the ability to prescribe workable solutions to problems.
Competency and understanding of numerical data, graphs and statistics is also valuable in making one stand out.